Special Research is a new Quest functionality in Pokémon Go that allows players to discover and catch a Mew in the wild after completing a series of tasks. One of the more difficult assignments in the search for Mew is the “Battle in 10 Gym Raids,” which appears in phase 6.
Fortunately, there is a way to achieve this task by fighting multiple times in only 2 different raids, saving yourself both time and money.
The reason you can do this is due to the wording of the assignment. If you notice, it says battle in 10 raids, not win 10 raids. This means players can allow themselves to lose the same gym raid multiple times, before ultimately beating it as time runs out. (Novel concept to lose a raid, I know)! Each loss/win counts toward the gym raid participation total.
Here’s how to do it.
Choose two Tier 1 or 2 Level gym raids such as Magikarp, Swablu, Pinsir, or Weezing.
Choose one of the following two Strategies.
1. Put in a team of 6 low Pokémon that you’ve caught or hatched and aren’t planning to keep.
2. Don’t fight the raid boss. Or, if you want to fight just for fun, make sure you DON’T WIN.
3. After the raid boss goes through all 6 on your team, don’t rejoin the fight. Just let it time out.
4. After losing that battle, go back in to start another raid countdown with a new team of 6 lousy Pokémon you plan to get rid of. Repeat this process until there is 6 minutes or less left on the raid boss timer.
5. The last time you fight in the raid, choose a winning team of fighters and WIN the raid. That way you can still reap the rewards of having participated in the raid, including a chance to catch the raid boss.
6. Find another Tier 1 or 2 Raid and repeat the above steps until you have all 10 raids completed.
1. Put in 1 or 2 “tanks” at the front of your team. “Tanks” are Pokémon that have high HP and/or Defense and can survive a large amount of damage before they run out of life. Perfect examples of these are Blissey, Chansey, Tyranitar, Snorlax, and Aggron.
2. Here, you can either do nothing or you can dodge the entire fight and not hit back. This is a great opportunity to practice dodging charge attacks! Dodging results in less potions and revives being needed to bring your “tank” back to life.
3. After you lose the raid, go back in immediately. Don’t revive your “tank” until after you’ve started the countdown timer.
4. Repeat Steps 1-3, until you get to the 6-minute mark.
5. The last time you fight, WIN the raid. This allows you to get the rewards and possibly catch the raid boss!
– You can do up to 8 fights with one gym raid if you start right after the egg hatches using the entire 45 minute countdown timer.
– Each raid cycle will take slightly more than 5 minutes (2-minute countdown, 3-minute battle, plus a few seconds to get back in the gym and kick off the raid fight again.)
– Don’t delay in going back in to start the 2-minute countdown timer immediately after you lose the previous battle. You will have 120 seconds to change your team or do any healing you want to do after you kick off the next fight.
– Don’t forget after you WIN the raid to go back and transfer those TKO’d Pokémon that you don’t plan to use OR heal your Pokémon that you want to keep.
We hope this quick tip will help you on the exciting path to getting your muse. Sorry, I meant Mew.
Let us know in the Comments section if you have any questions.
A special thanks to JVPBlackhawks20 who inspired this “how to” tip!