In case you’re unfamiliar with Hyperkin Products, this is the company that makes the RetroN systems you always see in your favorite independent game stores. They also make stylized modern versions of accessories for the old school gamer such as a NES compatible controller with a 10-foot cable and a sleek, comfortable mouse that works with Mario Paint. They’ve been in business for years and are a “go to” manufacturer for game store owners who have a retro customer base.
We stopped by their booth at E3 this year and were greatly impressed with everything we saw. The 2 standouts were a new addition to the RetroN series which plays Atari 2600 games and a device called the SmartBoy that turns your Android smartphone into a Gameboy/Gameboy Color player.
– Plays original Atari 2600 cartridges
– 2 controller ports
– Compatible with original 2600 joysticks
– USB ports (for use with other controllers)
– Joystick included with System
– Plays in 1080p HD (HDMI supported)
– 16:9 & 4:3 aspect ratios
– Faux Woodgrain panel
– Button Set (on/off, Reset, Select)
Price: $80 (rumored pricing/ no confirmation yet)
Release Date: Holiday Season 2017
No pre-orders available yet.
– Compatible with GB and GBC cartridges
– Compatible with NTSC/PAL cartridges
– Compatible with GBA apps from Google play
– Classic button set (D-Pad, A & B, Select, Start)
– Upscales to phone’s resolution
– USB Type-C port
– Designed for Samsung’s S8 line
– Phone size 5.2-6 inches
– No batteries required
NOTE: For a list of phones that will work with the SmartBoy besides the S8, check out Amazon’s listing.
Release Date: August 21st
How to Get it?
Pre-order on Amazon
Pre-order through Hyperkinlab.com
Check with your local independent game store that carries Hyperkin products to see if they’ll have it for sale.
For the latest news from Hyperkin Products, follow them on social media:
(Pic & Information Sources: Amazon.com & hyperkinlab.com)